Monday, December 24, 2012

Foodbrains.

Greetings, Agreeable Brains listeners! My name is Frank, and I'm a food geek!I enjoy food, cooking, and drinks... and I can get pretty damn geeky about it. I have a little blog over at Frank About Food, and have a page on Facebook. This is my first ever guest post for the Agreeable Brains, and look forward to more in the future. Enjoy!

One of the best flavors of the Christmas season, in my opinion, is eggnog. No, I'm not talking about the cheap, overly sweet, overly processed stuff at the store. And no, I'm not talking about the alcoholic version you buy in the liquor aisle.


What I'm talking about is the eggnog you make at home, with real eggs, and a tastey bourbon, rum, or brandy. Anyone who knows me knows that my bourbon of choice is Maker's Mark. I've used recipes from the distillery, and one from Alton Brown. I prefer the Alton Brown version, with my Maker's Mark addition.


Here's a fantastic article that Alton Brown wrote recently for Mental Floss about the history of eggnog, along with an updated, aged eggnog recipe.


Here's the older recipe by Alton Brown, that I love to use for my own eggnog, and that I used to make the eggnog that was featured in the Brain Boozled segment of latest episode of The Agreeable Brains:


Alton Brown's Eggnog


1/3 C. + 1 Tblsp. sugar
1 pint whole milk
1 C. heavy cream
3 oz. bourbon whisky
1 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
4 large shell eggs


Separate the eggs, carefully. Store the yolks and whites in separate bowls. Place the whites into the refrigerator.
Using a mixer, beat the yolks to a lighter color and texture.
While still beating, slowly add the 1/3 C. sugar.
While still beating, slowly add the both the milk and the cream.
Still beating, add the bourbon and nutmeg.
Wash your mixing beaters.
Beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
Still beating, slowly add the remaining 1 Tblsp. of sugar, and continue beating until you get stiff peaks.
Turn down mixer to low, and slowly pour in your yolk mixture.
Once mixed, chill and serve topped with a sprinkle of fresh nutmeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment